Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Trove Tuesday - William McCall - Snake Bite

This is a Trove Tuesday post.


Although the Tenterfield Star or the Stanthorpe Border Post have not been digitised yet for Trove, I am amazed at how much I can find about my family from Wallangarra in the Brisbane Courier.

Another browse last night found this.



The lesson about snake bite must have been a popular one at the time. I have a school exercise book belonging to my great uncle and in it he writes a composition about a boy getting bitten by a snake and treating it himself.

McCall's sister Jane who was in fact 2 years older than William, was bitten by a death adder on 26th August 1893 and died on the way to a doctor. She was buried on her parent's property, just north of Wallangarra.


William McCall later married Catherine McCaul who was my great great grandmother's niece. 

2 comments:

  1. Having the stories relayed through other newspapers is like a news "insurance policy". I first learned about a fire in Ipswich from the Maitland papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how far news travelled then.

    ReplyDelete