Trove Tuesday - Murder of Eileen Brennan

Trove Tuesday was begun by Amy Houston on her blog Branches Leaves & Pollen. She asked us to blog about what we've discovered and to share it with others. I think it's a great idea. I have found so many great stories on Trove so I'm attempting to blog each Tuesday. I certainly have enough material to keep me going for several months.

Last week my Trove Tuesday post told of the murder of Ellen Sullivan. Today I have another murder to share with you. I apologise if this posts upsets anyone as it happened in 1940.

Eileen Brennan was the 3rd daughter of seven children born to Thomas Vincent Brennan and his wife Kathleen Egan. She was 22 years old when she was murdered by her employer Leo Grant. He committed suicide at the murder site.

Sydney Morning Herald 16 October 1940, p. 12

The report in The Armidale Express was more detailed and stated that Leo Grant had recently purchased the Silver Bell cake shop in Beardy Street after moving from Sydney. He also had a bank book in the name of Leo Henry Murray in his pocket. His death was reported as Grant. 

A dreadful tragedy for our family and one with I imagine many unanswered questions.







Comments

Post a Comment