Eternity and the National Museum of Australia

For the past four years I have been a teacher on an excursion to Canberra. One of our visits is to the National Museum of Australia. I love this museum. Each time I go I find something I haven't seen before.

I particularly enjoy three of the permanent exhibits.

Circa is a short film depicting the history of Australia from ancient times to the present day using objects from the collection. So many of these objects and scenes bring an "I remember that" moment. It is always the first place I take my group.

The second section I really enjoy is Australian Journeys. This section tells the story of immigrants through personal objects. There is always something that our students can connect with.

The third exhibit which strikes a chord with me is called EternityIt is called Eternity after Arthur Stace who wrote the word eternity in chalk on Sydney streets for 35 years. This gallery discusses the lives of 50 Australians. There are ten words which are used to highlight the experiences of Australians. Each time I see it I try to think of an ancestor for whom that particular word had special meaning. What stories give meaning to those words?

These words or themes are:

joy, hope, passion, mystery, thrill, loneliness, fear, devotion, separation and chance.

My plan, hopefully over the next few months, is to write a post about a family member for whom I think one of the words holds specific meaning.

Do any of these words hold special meanings to any of your ancestors? Why not write about them? Put a link on my comments if you like.













- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

  1. An interesting idea Sharon...will give it some thought, but first I need to finish April's A to Z challenge..not far now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super idea Sharon. I'll put on my thinking cap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment