Brickwall - Elizabeth Flynn

I am fortunate to be spending a few days in our national capital Canberra. So naturally where does a genealogist spend one day? At the National Library.
I had one main goal yesterday and that was to find out what happened to who I'm sure was Elizabeth Flynn. The reference I had to her was from The Maitland Mercury & Hunter River General Advertiser (NSW: 1843 - 1893), Thursday 7 March 1861, p. 4. It quoted the Cooma correspondent from the Alpine Courier. 


What didn't I do before I arrived? I  didn't check that the NLA actually had microfilmed copies of the Alpine Courier. They had 1860 but not 1861. Although The Manaro Mercury and Cooma and Bombala advertiser began production in 1860 early copies do not survive.


I was advised to check the Perkins papers. According to the Society of Australian Genealogists, the Perkins Papers are a collection of typescript papers illustrating the social history of the electorate of Eden-Monaro  and the towns of Tumut and Adelong from 1823 - 1948. Mr Perkins used many sources including The Sydney Morning Herald and local papers of the area including the Golden Age. 


Of course although there was mention of her father and grandfather and many other families I am interested in, but there was nothing about her. 


So it looks as though, for the moment, that Elizabeth Flynn, daughter of Jeremiah Flynn and his wife Margaret Roche is still one of my brick walls.


The day however was still productive. The Perkins papers provided me with some useful information and I then spent most of the day looking at and recording family details from the Registers of St Patrick's Catholic Church in Cooma.

Comments